Friday, November 13, 2009

Traditions

Joel 1:3- Tell ye your children of it, and let your children tell their children, and their children another generation.

This bible verse came to mind when we planted our amaryllis bulb this year (paperwhites too).


We had a lesson on the parts of a bulb and its requirements to grow and bloom. Thinking Lauren's favorite part was observing the dirt coir expand and then chopping it up until it was dirt soup!!! Bless her heart- she wakes up in the morning in anticipation of the bulb blooming- I have explained and shown her on the calendar that it takes 8-12 weeks for the amaryllis to bloom. We will see when she grasps that concept. Meanwhile the paperwhites will bloom quicker and we will measure both types of bulbs for growth (part of homeschooling) for some fun holiday lessons.


We have also been busy making some Thanksgiving crafts that can be used for decoration- I tell myself - her working on these is more about the process and not necessarily the product!!


Here is a pic of her with the amaryllis and a shot of her voluntering at the humane society (the puppy's name is Mary).




1 comment:

  1. Doesn't Lauren look CUTE in her little picture smocked dress! I don't remember seeing this one, Alecia. Beautiful job on the PS. I wish I had the patience & the eyesight to do it well. I struggle & its just not fun. I prefer the geometric smocking designs.

    I think you're doing a great job of hands-on teaching with her. Waaay more attention to detail than she would get in a big classroom.

    Hugs,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete

Sewing Projects


Followers

Search This Blog